In the past year, I’ve come to accept the fact that work life balance is a life long pursuit.
In the different stages of our life, there are always going to be periods of work, and periods of rest. Accepting the fact we’re not going to get it 100% balanced ever, is the first step in being able to enjoy and embrace every moment!
Where the issue comes in, is when we’re so stuck in one place, we can’t see that we’re out of balance and need to re-jig things a little. For many, this looks like too much work; overtime, not using holidays, late nights, early starts. And not enough life; self care, family time, days off, relaxation. Building a business over the past few years, alongside running a blog and trying to grow this online space, there have definitely been times where work life balance didn’t exist for me. I didn’t see my friends, I didn’t look after my health, I barely left the house.
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I honestly don’t know where I’d be now if I hadn’t had that period of being out of balance with life. Yes, I still work really hard now, but I’m at a stage in my business where I have some play time; I can treat myself to a meal out, I can spend an afternoon with my bestie, I can spend a Sunday relaxing in the bath, and still get my work done, deliver value for my clients and progress in my career.
Would I have this balance now, if I hadn’t consciously chosen to be out of balance for a couple of years? Who knows? Not me! What I do know is – life is messy and imperfect. So please don’t beat yourself up if you feel out of balance at the moment!
The word ‘balance’ for me brings to mind weighing scales.
And if you’ve ever used traditional weighing scales, you’ll know that whilst you’re measuring things out, the scales sway back and forth for quite a while. Much like life, it’s a bit of a learning curve finding that perfect balance for ourselves. What I think’s more important is honouring yourself, your health and happiness in the stage that you’re in right now, in order to fully embrace it (guilt free) and make the most of it.
If you feel your work life balance is out of, well, balance! Then here are some ideas for you;
– Find time for self care in your busy schedule.
– Factor in breaks to your busy day.
– For the sake of your sanity, get enough sleep!
– Prepare healthy meals and snacks in advance to fuel your body and brain.
– Prioritise the most important tasks, and don’t be afraid to say no to the things that aren’t serving your bigger purpose.
– Keep a glass of water by your side 24/7 – you’ll thank me later when you’re not dehydrated with a headache because you’ve been staring at a laptop screen all day with no drink.
– Set boundaries with the people in your life – whether it’s clients, your colleagues or family – so you can fully honour your time for both work and rest. (e.g. agreeing on hours you can be reached, turning your phone off to focus on work, having your phone in the other room when you’re with your spouse, etc.)
– Treat yourself to something to look forward to when you’re out of this period of heavy work – an evening out, a weekend away, something nice you’ve wanted to buy. Recognise your hard work and use this as fuel to get to the end point of this busier period.
These are just some ideas, I encourage you to consider the things that will help you thrive in this period and find your ideal work life balance. I’d love you to leave me a comment and let me know what you’re planning on trying out!
Love, Kat x
P.S – Want some serious self care and self love in your life? Sign up for my FREE 5 Day Self Care Starter Kit.